Work has been absolutely crazy... I went to this Franklin Covey course about "5 choices to Extraordinary Productivity". Writing this is NOT one of those choices... :D
The class was awesome, but trying to create the kind of culture required to pull it off in this corporate environment will be near to impossible. I have the buy in of Val, which didn't really surprise me, as she's a very "organized" person, but she's also very scattered. Always has many things going on at once, and every single one seems to be a fire. This class was about moving away from reacting to the fires, or more like "scheduling the fires".
I was sent to this class in search of a time management course... this went WELL beyond that. It goes into breaking daily events down into quadrants - 4 of them. Q-1 through Q4.
Q-1 - Important and Urgent
Q-2 - Important but not Urgent
Q-3 - Urgent but not Important
Q-4 - Not Important and not Urgent
Guess where blogging falls? Most of us fall into Q-1 work, where everything that you do is important and urgent (to someone), or Urgent, but not important (again, to someone). We need to get to Q-2, which is the important work that will get us to our common goals as a company, and as an individual. I've been working on my Q-2, and have brought Val into the fold with me. It's going to be interesting trying to change a culture for better productivity.
There's also my daughter... hopefully she gets the job she interviewed for. Then next week she goes off for her physical for the Air Force, at which she'll be sworn in. I hope for all the world that she doesn't get disqualified.
My youngest son, Casey, has started his cross-country, so every weekend he'll have a meet somewhere. This means I either get him there, or don't take him with me on his weekends with me. They started back to school yesterday.
Logan will be starting drama club soon, I'm sure... and preparing for his ACT and looking at colleges. He'll be going to Marshall University sometime soon. West Virginia... ick.
I'm going to go dove hunting with a friend of mine down in southern Ohio... I haven't been in years, so this should be AWESOME! (Same weekend as Linda's birthday, but I've cleared it with her...)
We are walking again to Stop Diabetes on October 13th at the Polaris Fashion Mall. It was a huge success for us last year, and hope to do just as well, if not better!
I'm sure there's more, but my fingers hurt - it's gonna rain again soon... ugh.
I know, not very exciting, but I wanted to write something with substance, rather than just cheese. :D
Nov 9 Vegas. Check!
ReplyDelete?
ReplyDeleteWell that Sunday
ReplyDeleteblogging is an important social activity that should NEVER come before real life, ..enjoy your time with family and doing the things that matter most
ReplyDeletetake pics and come back once in a while..:)) deal?
Wish I could get set to a seminar in Vegas.......just saying......
ReplyDeleteHave fun Duckie, busy is so much better than nothing to do... as long as you check in once in a while.
sounds like lots of good 'busy' time... I remember those franklin covey seminars - back in the day - the 90's, lol , I attended a few too.... BASF was big on them - Bernie went to lots, they are wonderful.... do people still use their planners? with all the on line tools now [and ICloud] I can't see much use for them...
ReplyDeletewe are all so afraid of losing touch here, if we don't act like everything is a Q1.... truth is you can meander away a little, and get lots done, then make time for here!
sounds like the kids are busy and wishing them all well! and Vegas is just awesome... wish we could all tag along with you as well....
take care of YOU and your family then work, and you know where to find us: Blogger or Xanga I think ;)
ReplyDeleteI like reading about others lives , it isn't exciting but it's lovely !! Good luck to you in everything you do and your children also. What a great place to tag along too Yay Linda !!!
ReplyDeleteAnd what the hell do you have against cheese, may I ask?? ;P
ReplyDeleteMe? Against cheese?! Nevah!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I know... it's actually listed as a time waster... what people do when they're tired of the other quadrants... :D There's time for it, but "scheduling" it, will make it a Q-2, rather than a Q-4.
ReplyDeleteOf course, I'll still be around. Lots going on, but always come back to update and keep in touch.
Yes, there are people who still use their planners... and they still teach the tried and true time management courses. I wanted a course that was more technology based, which this certainly was! I actually can use my Kindle Fire and/or iPhone for all my planner needs... and it syncs with Outlook at work, and Yahoo, Gmail... or whatever. :D
ReplyDeleteYeah, Vegas will be awesome!
I think much of that news IS exciting! I enjoyed your update.
ReplyDeletewell I think we should have a PP gathering in Vegas...
ReplyDeleteMy PP will be in Vegas. :D
ReplyDeleteMarshall is a good school and the campus is nice. WV isn't SO bad Duckie, LOL. I'm only 45 miles west of Huntington and that's where Rick goes to the VA. His VA shares the Marshall School of Medicine.
ReplyDeleteWhat are you gonna do with the dove feathers Duckie?? Hint, hint, LOL. I make fans and earrings and have been looking for dove or pigeon feathers.
I know we'll be able to keep in contact. Glad the kids are doing well and I hope you get logistics with track worked out for the best for both of you..
This looks familiar. LOL
ReplyDelete;-)
ReplyDelete