According tk the AEP website, Lancaster power will be restored by midnight, July 7th. I'll be staying at Linda's. I feel bad for those who have no place to go.
State of emergency has been declared. They are getting federal emergency funding too. They have opened cooling centers and the elderly are being checked on.
what about home medical equipment? I don't know what I would do if the power was out here for more than a few hours Mom has to have power for oxygen and bed and refrigeration for medicines. I'm sure she's not the only one.
They were saying on our local radio station that the problem is all the neighboring states are in the same situation and it will take time to get help there.
serendipitydreams wrote today at 10:30 PM They were saying on our local radio station that the problem is all the neighboring states are in the same situation and it will take time to get help there.
Yes, it wasn't just Ohio hit by this. Much of the eastern us. I don't know I'd Ohio was the worst hit by it, but from what I've seen on the news, locally and nationally, I believe so.
It may well be. The power companies often give themselves a little "wiggle room" in situations like this. It's better to get it fixed sooner than expected (people are sooo grateful and think you're wonderful) than name a too-short time frame and have everybody mad at you when it takes longer.
Yeah Becky, I understand that. I'm sure it'll be on sooner. These guys working out in this heat, day and night, 16 hour shifts... Are doing an amazing job.
Just from the news it almost sounds like it's worse than they are saying! Read that there is difficulty with so many trees being twisted in so many power lines across so many states. Utility crews from several states are convoying that way to help...thank goodness.
I did also read that the governor of...New Jersey(?) felt it important to publicly announce that ALL casinos DID HAVE POWER and were 100% operational for tourists.
My sister works for the power company here, as a computer programmer. But every single employee is trained to help with emergencies, even her. When they do drills she will drive out of town crews to sites (they don't know their way around), take food to crews, deliver supplies to sites, etc. They don't waste a single resource. Of course we're in a hurricane zone, so have to be prepared.
When we were in Charlotte when Hugo hit, the rich people were without power longest, because they had the big old trees on their property, and it is the trees on the power lines that have to be cut up and removed first that make it take so long to get power back up and running. We were in an apartment complex and had power the next day, but some people went 2 weeks without it.
My best friend is a work planner for one of the tree outfits that keep powerlines clear - she was expecting to be called out for storm work, but it hasn't happened yet. It still could, though, depending on how bad it gets. The lines she's working now haven't been trimmed in 9 freaking years and (obviously) need done ASAP, so the power company seems to be leaving her crews there for the time being.
They're going to pare back. If their places of business are open, they'll go to work; if not, they'll stay home and hunker down, or go spend the day elsewhere where there is still power. They'll walk the mall, WalMart, anywhere. Most places will bring in water buffaloes so they have potable water. If they're able, they'll cook all the perishables they can and, the nice ones, will offer to do it for neighbors who can't. They will expend as little energy as possible due to the heat. They will suffer lack of sleep for the same reason. They will be hot, sweaty, miserable. They will find help to deal with elderly friends and relatives who need more care to survive the heat. Ordeals like this bring out the absolute best in people, and they will survive.
Our electric company has been pretty active in keeping trees trimmed at the beginning of the season lately. Unfortunately I have major power lines across the back of my property, so they leave my trees one-sided. They cut only the branches that are near the power lines.
Yeah, they don't have time or resources to worry about "pretty." The one here will occasionally make an exception for a good yard tree, if the owner adamantly requests it.
That's insane....(and the power outage too) ;))
ReplyDeleteJuly 7th? What are people to do? What about jobs...and food...and the people??
ReplyDeleteState of emergency has been declared. They are getting federal emergency funding too. They have opened cooling centers and the elderly are being checked on.
ReplyDeletewhat about home medical equipment? I don't know what I would do if the power was out here for more than a few hours Mom has to have power for oxygen and bed and refrigeration for medicines. I'm sure she's not the only one.
ReplyDeleteCherie...surely the red cross is there with portable tanks and coolers full of ice...surely surely...
ReplyDeleteIt is a state of emergency and I hope the red cross is there.
ReplyDeleteState and National guard it too.
ReplyDeleteThey were saying on our local radio station that the problem is all the neighboring states are in the same situation and it will take time to get help there.
ReplyDeleteLockport Illinois...is that close to you?
ReplyDeleteWow this sucks. I'm glad you and the family are safe
ReplyDeleteMother Nature is sure unkind some times!
ReplyDeleteI actually gasped out loud when I read this.... omg : ((
ReplyDeleteLockport Illinois...is that close to you?
ReplyDeleteIllinois is two states over. Indiana, then Illinois.
serendipitydreams wrote today at 10:30 PM
ReplyDeleteThey were saying on our local radio station that the problem is all the neighboring states are in the same situation and it will take time to get help there.
Yes, it wasn't just Ohio hit by this. Much of the eastern us. I don't know I'd Ohio was the worst hit by it, but from what I've seen on the news, locally and nationally, I believe so.
So...did the same storm travel over three states??
ReplyDeleteYes. And further. It's the same storm I believe that hit Washington DC.
ReplyDeleteI've seen some pics on weather.com ..... pretty bad
ReplyDeleteDriving through Lancaster today was horrible. The trees that were uprooted and thrown like matchsticks into houses... Amazing.
ReplyDeleteI hate that you're without power but grateful that you have a place to go! I am so glad that you and your family are safe! Hugssssssssssssssssss
ReplyDeleteCrap dude...i dont have tv so no idea...but i gather it was very bad...prayers to all
ReplyDeleteI hope its all sorted quicker than they say Duck;)
ReplyDeleteIt may well be. The power companies often give themselves a little "wiggle room" in situations like this. It's better to get it fixed sooner than expected (people are sooo grateful and think you're wonderful) than name a too-short time frame and have everybody mad at you when it takes longer.
ReplyDeleteBe safe.
ReplyDeleteYeah Becky, I understand that. I'm sure it'll be on sooner. These guys working out in this heat, day and night, 16 hour shifts... Are doing an amazing job.
ReplyDeleteThere should be teams coming from other states too. I know they come here from all over when our power is out.
ReplyDeleteThere are. Still, 16 hour shifts, doing backbreaking work.
ReplyDeleteJust from the news it almost sounds like it's worse than they are saying! Read that there is difficulty with so many trees being twisted in so many power lines across so many states. Utility crews from several states are convoying that way to help...thank goodness.
ReplyDeleteI did also read that the governor of...New Jersey(?) felt it important to publicly announce that ALL casinos DID HAVE POWER and were 100% operational for tourists.
Well yeah cuz a casino is the FIRST place I would go with no power and no water and no bath for days.
ReplyDeleteMy sister works for the power company here, as a computer programmer. But every single employee is trained to help with emergencies, even her. When they do drills she will drive out of town crews to sites (they don't know their way around), take food to crews, deliver supplies to sites, etc. They don't waste a single resource. Of course we're in a hurricane zone, so have to be prepared.
ReplyDeleteWhen we were in Charlotte when Hugo hit, the rich people were without power longest, because they had the big old trees on their property, and it is the trees on the power lines that have to be cut up and removed first that make it take so long to get power back up and running. We were in an apartment complex and had power the next day, but some people went 2 weeks without it.
My best friend is a work planner for one of the tree outfits that keep powerlines clear - she was expecting to be called out for storm work, but it hasn't happened yet. It still could, though, depending on how bad it gets. The lines she's working now haven't been trimmed in 9 freaking years and (obviously) need done ASAP, so the power company seems to be leaving her crews there for the time being.
ReplyDeleteThey're going to pare back. If their places of business are open, they'll go to work; if not, they'll stay home and hunker down, or go spend the day elsewhere where there is still power. They'll walk the mall, WalMart, anywhere. Most places will bring in water buffaloes so they have potable water. If they're able, they'll cook all the perishables they can and, the nice ones, will offer to do it for neighbors who can't. They will expend as little energy as possible due to the heat. They will suffer lack of sleep for the same reason. They will be hot, sweaty, miserable. They will find help to deal with elderly friends and relatives who need more care to survive the heat. Ordeals like this bring out the absolute best in people, and they will survive.
ReplyDeleteOur electric company has been pretty active in keeping trees trimmed at the beginning of the season lately. Unfortunately I have major power lines across the back of my property, so they leave my trees one-sided. They cut only the branches that are near the power lines.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that effin great...
ReplyDeleteYeah, they don't have time or resources to worry about "pretty." The one here will occasionally make an exception for a good yard tree, if the owner adamantly requests it.
ReplyDeleteNot a bad thing to know.... you can go and stay cool and you don't HAVE to gamble. They have restrooms, too. That can be very important, lol!
ReplyDeleteI get that Moppy, but at the same time....
ReplyDelete