Friday, May 11, 2012

Writing Prompt - NaNoWriMo (on FB)

As I sat staring ahead, the screen screamed to life, colors exploding in an array of pixels meant to make sense out of the senseless. My fingers flew across the keys as pages of information flew by, indecipherable to most, but the life-blood to many.

Conversations around me become nothing more than accompanying white noise, soothing me with the realization that those conversations exist for this moment. If I stop, the chattering voices will cease to project their self-importance, and wither away to whimpers of a whining child.

Nothing can stop me now, as my mind continues to process seemingly endless streams of data... 1's, 0's... some 2's and 4's even. A bead of sweat forms on my brow as an intense light from overhead shines down into my eyes, blinding me momentarily. I barely slow my pace to swipe at a rogue drip forming at the very edge of my eye.

Finally, and with a triumphant scream of superiority, I hit "enter" for the last time this day.The tiny glass clock on my desk struck five, and with the completion of my duties, I bid a hale farewell to the tiny voices that are now quickly fading behind me as I walk out of the office.

The NaNoWriMo Challenge was to: "Tell us what you've done today, but make it exciting! Dramatic! Get us on the edge of our seats just by finding the right words to describe the mundane."

18 comments:

  1. Sorry...added more. Hit enter when I shoulda not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but..what if there was a 3 in there? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was... it was a full range of numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wha? It's really hard to make accounting EXCITING AND DRAMATIC. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you had a chick under your desk while entering the numbers? Now that would be drama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry, I blame the phenergan

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right of course...

    ReplyDelete
  9. especially if the boss walked in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'd be writing about being in the unemployment line.

    ReplyDelete
  11. no we would have to write her out of the story.....you hate her after all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you succeeded! I dinna know NaNoWriMo had anything other than that really big thing in November. Shee-it, I need to get out more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh what a fabulous idea...:)) This great....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks guys. I have been wanting to write so forced myself to on this one.

    I don't know how often they post these things. This is the first I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well you certainly made it sound frantic, which is probably pretty accurate sometimes.

    ReplyDelete