Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Lobster Stew

Everything went wonderfully well last night. The timing was perfect as everything came together at all the right times.

I was able to post the dessert last night, and it would seem that you all kinda liked it. So now I give you the main course... the Lobster Stew.

The amounts are approximate, as I just kinda cut and chop and add.

2 - 1 1/2 lb lobsters
3 Tblsp butter, unsalted
1 cup Leeks, finely chopped
1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 cup half and half (I used fat free)
2 Tblsp corn starch in 2 Tblsp cold water
1/4 cup creme fraiche
1 Tblsp chives, cut very small
1 Tblsp chopped tarragon

Cook the critters (live) in boiling water, making sure to not overcook them. About 6 minutes. Remove from water and place in a large bowl of cold water.

Remove the meat from the tail, claws, and knuckles, discarding the shells (or save them for stock). Cut the meat into 1/2 inch chunks.



Melt the butter into a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and leek, season with a touch of salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.



Add the lobster, cayenne, thyme, and lemon zest and stir together.

Pour in the half and half and simmer for a short time, about 2 minutes. Add the corn starch mixture and cook until thickened.



Taste and adjust seasoning if needed, then stir in the creme fraiche.

Spoon the lobster stew into two deep bowls. Place a baked pastry lid on top of each. Sprinkle the top with chopped tarragon and chives. Serve immediately.



The lovely Linda is very happy...



And Chef Duckie is elated...


19 comments:

  1. NUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Duckie! You look GREAT! The food looks good, too! *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder...could my critters be shrimp or crab instead? Lobster meat upsets my tumtum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Lawd, that looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh
    MY
    GOD!!!!!

    I so adore lobster....thanks for the share!..love the pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to share a funny..true story...first time I cooked a live lobster, I had no idea what I was doing, first of all, I was pretty grossed out the critter was alive..I was thinking it might scream or something...I stuck it in the boiling water..butt first..of course it crawled OUT..omg..i was mortified!!..I tried again..once I caught it, again.. Senor Lobster made for the door..third time, a room mate told me..geeze ya gotta stick it in head first.
    Oh.
    Well, I didn't know!! Sheesh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome my friend, the whole event nicely done;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big yum!
    Chef Duckie appears to be losing weight. Linda is indeed lovely.
    Loving the photo essay format.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!!! Yes, I'm talking about your stew, your evening, your lady, and you!!!!! (Not especially :-) in that order)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy but we both know I'm not gonna cook it :P

    You both look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful success! You both look SO happy and that makes me smile. Thank you for sharing this recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When does your new TV show premiere - "Cooking With Duck" - ???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aspenglow, even better: Cooking Duck

    ReplyDelete
  14. No cooking the Duck!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Done Duck, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I rank this 10 on 10 of romantic things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, can I use Shrimp? Cause I can't bear to cook something alive.

    I do hope you didn't get her too full for a Duckie dessert. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. I guess you can use whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete