Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Dessert

Ok, so it's more of a hand held pie than a tart, but for some reason I like calling it a raspberry tart.

Here it is, very simple:

12 oz frozen unsweetened raspberries (fresh if available in season)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
1 1/2 Tblsp corn starch
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg (17.3 oz) frozen puff pastry shells (thawed)
1 egg

Mix the corn starch with 1 1/2 Tblsp of cold water.

In a large saucepan add the raspberries, sugar, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat until juicy (frozen takes about 5 minutes).


Once juicy add corn starch/water mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring often until thickened. Remove from heat.



Dust a work surface with flour. Lay out the rectangular pastry sheets, cut each sheet into 4 long sheets (you'll have 8 at this point). Set aside.

Whisk egg with a dash of water. Brush the edges of one cut sheet with egg mixture. Place a spoonful of raspberry stuff on one end of the sheet.



Fold sheet over so that short ends meet. Crimp with a fork to seal. Cut a venty thing in the top. Place on baking sheet. Repeat for 7 remaining sheets.

Brush remaining egg on the tops of each pie. Bake in a preheated oven (375) for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove, let cool. Serve and enjoy!


18 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm. I think I can handle that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.M.G. I. WANT. THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love dessert right now..... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!!! Yes please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the recipe! GREAT photos and instructions to go along with it. I have competition in the food blogging arena! Looks absolutely scrumptious, Chuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lobster stew will be next. Not right now though. Later. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you never ate that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delish..Oh how I miss cooking. Do you do take-outs? lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! a great treat...I like your photos too

    ReplyDelete
  10. You hope I never ate what? Of course I ate it. SUGAR FREE. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's what I was thinking? I thought I read you used Splenda...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What! you don't make your own puff pastry!!!!!!!!! Me either LOL looks awesome and yummy;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like it turned out perfectly!

    You get no extra man cards for posting the recipe separately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pffft... i got enough man cards for what happened AFTER dessert. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. nummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would go perfectly with the vanilla ice cream I bought tonight.

    I saved the recipe for later.

    ReplyDelete