For my birthday I slept in and did much of nothing for a major portion of the day... all in preparation for the evenings events. It was kinda funny that tonight I get calls from my brothers asking if I was drunk yet... or if I had any wild escapades planned.
I guess I've become mellow in my advanced years, but I was neither incapacitated, nor had wild plans... I left this afternoon to have dinner with Linda and the kids. Linda made me one of my favorite dishes that I'd created. It's based on a Portuguese stew called Mood Beef. I love it, as it's warm and filling, and tasty as all get out (and relatively easy). She did a wonderful job and it was as good as if I had made it myself.
Linda gave me my presents - more awesomeness!!!
A Star Wars metal lunch box, with sandwich cutters inside. :D And a Darth Vader spatula! She loves me. :D
After the birthday dinner, complete with cake Linda made, we went to the Columbus Zoo to see the Wild Lights display. 3 million Christmas lights all around the park, with music and fun displays. There were also some animal exhibits still open. Some of the enclosures obviously couldn't be open as it's cold, and dark. We had a great time, and plan to head back to the zoo sometime during the spring. (Sorry, there are no pictures at the moment as I realized as I was half-way to Linda's that I forgot my camera. I have some from my phone, but of poor quality.)
All in all, this was the best birthday, and to spend it with those I love most... my kids and Linda, made it so.
Yes it does, sweetie, and I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday! *hugs*
ReplyDeleteso glad you had a wonderful birthday!!
ReplyDeletexox
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful day, Chuck! I'm so happy for you! LOVE the Darth Vader spat. Will have to tell you a funny DV story sometime. But, for now, MOST EXCELLENT BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
ReplyDeletethats just fabulous...so glad you had a happy day
ReplyDeleteIt does sound like a great day.
ReplyDeleteSounds like the perfect day Sweetie! Loves and hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteBased on the Christmas and Birthday gifts, I'd say Linda not only loves you...she GETS you. I'm glad you're happy and had such a great birthday!
ReplyDeleteduclie dude..love the lunch box...keep an eye on the co workers they will wanna purloin it from you..and love tends to multiply the good times..happy for you guy ..pax aquatica
ReplyDeleteMood Beef? Does it change color as you eat it?
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Indeed...♥
ReplyDeleteOK, i went and looked it up. Sounds terrific.
ReplyDeleteOh Duckie, sounds like an absolutely wonderful birthday filled with love. OMG, where did Linda find a Darth Vader spatula, that is total coolness LOL
ReplyDeleteBirthday HUGGGGSSSS on time delay :)
Glad you had a good time.
ReplyDeletemood beef? I want the recipe!
ReplyDeleteas for a wonderful birthday - am truly happy that you are loved , healthy and content.... hugs...
This is the original from food network.
ReplyDelete1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 pounds beef round steak, cut into thin strips
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 green peppers, cut into thin strips
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (35-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed with your hands, with their juice
1 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup ditalini pasta
2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
In a Dutch oven or heavy skillet heat the olive oil over high heat. Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper. Saute the beef, in batches if necessary so that the pan is not crowded, until well-browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside. Add the onion and green peppers to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and caramelized around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes, water, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Return the beef to the pan and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Add the ditalini to the gravy and cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Add the parsley. Serve immediately.
A darth Vader spatula?!?! Pinky... you are set...I'll grab my ewok and we'll go take over the world! :P
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday...no pics? No problem...sometimes it's good to just leave the camera at -home- for a change and enjoy the time around you without snapping 3000 pictures....
ReplyDeleteIt's good to see you so happy...it makes my heart smile.
thanks for the recipe! it sounds really good...
ReplyDeleteWhy am l Pinky? Of course hes cooler, but I get what you're implying here.
ReplyDeletebut of course, I'm the brain....*snickers*
ReplyDeleteBah!
ReplyDeleteLinda really does "get" you. That is so awesome. Finding someone who understands our quirkiness has probably got to be the best gift in life. And finding someone who not only understands it, but embraces it, life just doesn't get any better. No wonder you're so happy. You certainly deserve this Ducky. Glad you had a great day.
ReplyDeleteDuckie!!! I missed it!!! Happy, Happy Birthday anyway!!! Though, it's plain to see that it definitely was. Glad you had such a great one! :)
ReplyDeletesmiling huge here.....lol...lol..oh duckie....am just so happy for you .....and may god bless bless bless linda's soul and heart for finding you and being in your life....
ReplyDeleteyou know i smiled most when u wrote that you've become mellow in your advanced years....arjun and me say the same thing so much these days.....we didn't feel like going anywhere for new years....went to bed at 10.30...lol...and even on weekends , friends boo us for being spoilsports....but we prefer staying at home and doing stuff together...or with the kids .....its easy, calming, restful.....
Sorry i'm just getting back to this- thanks bunches for the recipe.
ReplyDelete