Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lettering and Jackets

I have a bit of a beef with the school my kids attend. Maybe I'm off the mark, and it's every school around the nation that does this... if this is the case, it should change.

My son Logan has had an uphill challenge all his life. He suffers (or not) from Aspberger's Syndrome, a form of autism. It's been a challenge for him to fit in and be a part of anything in both school's he's attended, even in the private Catholic school. Every year we had to fight the school to provide him what he needed to succeed, and every year they tried to convince us that he'd be better off going to a "special school". We disagreed.

We were proven to be right. We fought, we pushed... we KNEW he could do this, and do it better than anyone. He may not be a popular kid in school, but he is his own person, doing his own thing. He was in a play this year, and did very well. This year he is taking journalism, hoping to write for the school paper. He's found a definite interest, and with his odd...er... unique perspective, he could quite possibly excel at this too.

In all this, he has excelled academically. He has a grade point average of 3.5 and has received a "letter" in academics along with and ASTRA badge (something about academic excellence.) I am so very proud of him. One problem with this though... apparently at the high school he attends, they don't allow letterman jackets for academics. I find this VERY WRONG!

My daughter, as wonderful, and beautiful as she is, can twirl a flag and get a jacket for a sport (not to take anything away from the effort she puts into that), but someone who puts just as much effort, if not more, into maintaining a high GPA gets shunned. Is this any less of an achievement? Obviously this places more importance on the sports program than academics. Why again is this country so freaking DUMB?

I love my kids and all they've accomplished equally. I would simply love to see that their achievements in their respective activities were seen in the same light by the school, or community in which they are excelling. I know this can't be the norm everywhere... Please tell me it's just the "small town, high school football is king" mentality.

Otherwise, it's time we all just give up on our kids now...

15 comments:

  1. I agree with you....in a nation that goes crazy over sports of all kinds, and pays atheletes exhorbitant salaries, Academics should be recognized as something to strive for, especially when there are "special" obstacles to overcome. It seems to me to be a kind of reverse discrimination. I wonder how the school would feel if this situation were highlighted by a media story? Normally, parents pay more for private education so their child can receive the benefits of a better education....A letter is a letter, no matter if it's in academics, or sports....Congrats to Logan....I hope you find a way to make this right for him so he can continue to be proud of being smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sucks! Sounds like he's done excellent work despite his challenges! I can see why you're so proud of him, and it has to hurt to not see that hard work rewarded. It's certainly not fair!

    It's been so long since I've been in school, I honestly don't remember if they gave letters for academics or not. Obviously, I didn't get one. :)-

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not the letter at issue here. He has the letter. He's not being allowed the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when I was at school, and my kids too..all of us at various private Catholic schools, we most definitely were allowed to wear the academic scrolls, sports scrolls, or creative arts scrolls depicting high achievement, on our jackets (blazers)...Acadmics in fact received a specific jacket..and the scrolls were sewn onto that...

    I wouldnt let it go..really, make it change..he deserves the accolade for heavens sakes..

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sheridan High School will be a place where all students and their parents feel welcome and comfortable; where learning is the top priority; and where there is a sense of pride in themselves, the school and in being from Sheridan."

    Above is the school's mission statement, from their home page on the web....Maybe we should all pull a Multiply Blitz and contact the school and let them know how their policy is in direct opposition to their touted mission statement ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really great that he's done so well and succeeded in his efforts. Congrats to Loagan. Best wishes on his future ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope things turn out better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wth? If you merit a letter, why would you not merit a jacket??? How stupid!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know nothing about the jacket issue, but yay for Logan. It's hard to keep a high GPA in high school when it is definitely not always the coolest thing to be smart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Total bs. Fight it...if you letter ..you get a jacket...grrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having no idea about Letters and Jackets (being an Aussie is a distinct disadvantage here) I get the general idea... it's WRONG! Logan and every other child in similar circumstances of having a Letter SHOULD have the jacket if that is the norm for other areas of achievment.

    Well Done to Logan for his perseverance and sheer grit and determination to succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my hometown anyone can get a jacket....but not just anyone can get a letter. I don't understand....you can't just order the jacket?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is how it works here also Cherie....I would probably drop the big "D" word (discrimination) and watch them back pedal :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't add much, knowing nothing about this issue, but CONGRATULATIONS to Logan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yep...buy him a jacket to wear...

    ReplyDelete