Jars for the first batch of hot, zesty pickles are in the boiling waterbath for 15 minutes. The mixture for the next batch is boiling in the next pan. Now to wait 4-6 weeks to see if they taste any good. I hope so, I've never done this before.
I had an uncle who used to pickle everything... carrots, green beans... cucumbers, of course. I loved them. The smell in here right now kinda reminds me of my childhood spent in Upstate New York.
Wow, a man who cans. I am so impressed. I haven't even ever done that myself. My mom used to do it, and I do own a canner, but it's never been used yet. Can't wait to hear how they turn out.
How hard can it be? The trying part is the seal... to make sure you've got the rim clean, and enough "headspace" between the food and the seal thingy. And that it's clean, or a seal won't happen. I've taken out the first batch... letting them cool. We'll see in several hours.
I remember listening for that pop when my mom used to can when I was a kid. I have a glass top stove right now, so until we put in a gas cooktop I can't can. You can't use a pressure cooker on a glass top, it might break it.
It's a pickled cucumber with garlic, ginger, dill, cinnamon, bay leaves... In vinegar. Put peppers in the jar with the boiling hot liquid and cucumbers.
I love bread and butter pickles and have a fabulous recipe but then you can't have many of those....so dill is better. My dill pickles have never turned out good and I've never tried to make hot zesty ones...that sounds good only in carrots and cauliflower.
You are so domestic. My grandma made pickles, her enclosed front porch smelled like dill. Hope they turn out good for you.
ReplyDeleteI had an uncle who used to pickle everything... carrots, green beans... cucumbers, of course. I loved them. The smell in here right now kinda reminds me of my childhood spent in Upstate New York.
ReplyDeleteCool. i look forward to hearing you brag on them.
ReplyDeleteWow, a man who cans. I am so impressed. I haven't even ever done that myself. My mom used to do it, and I do own a canner, but it's never been used yet. Can't wait to hear how they turn out.
ReplyDeleteHow hard can it be? The trying part is the seal... to make sure you've got the rim clean, and enough "headspace" between the food and the seal thingy. And that it's clean, or a seal won't happen. I've taken out the first batch... letting them cool. We'll see in several hours.
ReplyDeleteI used to can, it's only tricky the first few times. I love to hear the pop that lets you know it's sealed
ReplyDeleteI remember listening for that pop when my mom used to can when I was a kid. I have a glass top stove right now, so until we put in a gas cooktop I can't can. You can't use a pressure cooker on a glass top, it might break it.
ReplyDeleteI want pickles!
ReplyDeleteI never used a pressure cooker to can, just the old fashion water bath kind. Pressure cookers have always scared me! lol
ReplyDeleteNo pressure cooker kind here. Just the waterbath. They appear sealed. Do they pop as they cool?
ReplyDeleteyes they pop as they cool and pickles usually seal easier and more often than veggies
ReplyDeleteYou're supposed to count the pops so you know they all sealed.
ReplyDeleteor you can just press on the top of the lids to make sure
ReplyDeleteYou try to count the pops over Halo being played on the xbox... :D
ReplyDeleteThey appear to have all sealed. :D Yay!
ReplyDeleteNow I hope they'll taste good!
Well if you quit playing X-Box you could! Or turn down the volume?
ReplyDeleteCool. If you don't get food poisoning when you eat them we'll know for sure they all sealed.
It's not me playing... it's my kids.
ReplyDeleteLMAO!!!!!
ReplyDeletenow there's a positive thinker!!!!
And I'm just not patient enough to sit and listen for popping jar lids...
ReplyDeleteI did hear one though.
So, when can I expect my pickle package in the mail??? Hmmm?? Sounds wonderful, Chuck!
ReplyDeleteAbout the time I get that plane ticket... :D
ReplyDeleteI used some anahiem peppers in with two jars... to spice them up a bit. Hope that works.
ReplyDeletea pepper pickle here means what all inside it ?
ReplyDeleteOHHHH! It's a hostage situation, is it? Well, I see how you are. You'll just have to enjoy your pickle alone, then.
ReplyDeleteBwaahahahahahaha
JK, luv ya
It's a pickled cucumber with garlic, ginger, dill, cinnamon, bay leaves... In vinegar. Put peppers in the jar with the boiling hot liquid and cucumbers.
ReplyDeleteyou should try pickled garlic ducky....
ReplyDeleteomg good stuff!
me too!
ReplyDeleteI love bread and butter pickles and have a fabulous recipe but then you can't have many of those....so dill is better. My dill pickles have never turned out good and I've never tried to make hot zesty ones...that sounds good only in carrots and cauliflower.
ReplyDeleteyum!
ReplyDeleteMy uncle used to make 'em spicy... garlic dill, and spicy dill... mmmm....
ReplyDeletedill is my favorite if I'm going to pickle..
ReplyDeleteI don't like sweet pickling ...but that's just my preference
I don't like sweet pickles... but I do love sweet pickle relish. :D
ReplyDeleteI don't like sweet pickles or relish, but those hot dills do sound fabulous.
ReplyDeleteI've got tons of chili peppers in the garden I could give you for them if you were closer.
Votes for bread and butter...
ReplyDeleteAw, man, i'm gonna have to go get cucumbers. 'cause y'all have me craving now.
ReplyDeletemmmm....pickles! I love the dill ones, not so much the sweet ones. Can't wait to hear how they turn out!
ReplyDelete