- My sugar levels were at an average of 162, which I knew...
- my A1C was 6.5. Overall, not bad. Certainly an improvement from last year (avg then was 207, and 8, or something).
- Blood pressure was good, 118/78.
- Cholesterol went up - ick.
- Big news is that I have a thyroid issue. Protein showed up in the urine test I had done.
My spikey sugar levels... I now have a medication for that.
Her belief is that the diet I AM following (as she observed by weight loss overall, and glucose levels) is sufficient, and that the thyroid and diabetes itself are causing the spike in the cholesterol. So with the meds and exercise... yes, I really MUST go exercise... we should see a decrease back to what my cholesterol levels were just a year ago.
She explained that what I have is known as the metabolic trifecta... All three things are screwing with me in a way that fixing one may cause something else to happen... that all three need to be treated, but in a way that she can identify what's working, and what's not... so it's a step by step thing. Getting my spikey levels under control are first, the thyroid is second. Hoping to pull the other thing in line.
That all should also take care of the other ickies I seem to get so often. She explained that both the diabetes and thyroid issue are immune deficiency disorders, and it can compromise me to the point of contracting the slightest bug...
And I got stabbed again. Tetanus shot... I think they just like sticking me with needles. I go back for review in three months... I told Matt that I expect to see him empty handed this time around.
i coulda give you the tetanus
ReplyDeletesomeone told you that you had thyroid issues....AHEM!
ReplyDeletethe thing with the thyroid is...the meds will take weeks to work....but once they do your TSH levels need to be monitored...no worries there you can see your hot doc for that i'm sure :P
yay for the hot doc and for you following through.... I know it's an effort, but you are doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteglad things are getting worked out... You'll feel better in the long run, once you're all straightened out.
ReplyDeleteWill read this at home
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are on the yellow brick road now!
ReplyDeleteWell, there's some good news in there! :) Hope you get the rest worked out soon.
ReplyDeleteyup some good news in there for sure. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteBah...
ReplyDeleteIt may have been mentioned once. It was only mentioned cause of the alien baby though... which wasn't my thyroid. Pfffft.
ReplyDeleteI see the hot doc in another three months... labsheet already given to me to get before I go back.
go ahead and say it...
ReplyDeleteIt is an effort. I just want to feel good again. It's like I start to fix one thing, only to find out something else is broken.
ReplyDeleteFace down...
ReplyDeleteThere is good news... I know I'll get it worked out. Just kinda ugh-y that it's just more crap on top of already icky crap.
ReplyDeleteBah?
ReplyDeletegeez, do I get that fix one thing and then something else breaks. glad you're working on the trifecta Duckie..sounds like hot doc is ready to get to the bottom of things. Just imagine for a moment one day soon when you have the realization that you feel good!
ReplyDeleteOr... yeah, you were right?
ReplyDeleteOooh, I can't wait for that day to happen. I have absolutely NO energy it seems... this isn't me.
ReplyDeleteoh duckie...i do hope this all gets sorted out and you feel better....
ReplyDeletethat would be it.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear the doc had some answers for you. Being tired all the time is no dang fun, no matter what the cause. Hope you start feeling better soon!
ReplyDeletethat's so frustrating...
ReplyDelete*hugs*
This is so weird.. reading about what you are going through is scaring me now even more. I am now more scared than ever to find out if I have diabetes. I have had some blurry vision lately too.. and that scares me, as my Mom had that.
ReplyDeleteDuckie.. I really hope you feel better soon, friend. But you are looking leaner, smiling more, and that is a start. I am super proud of you for making the changes that you have. Keep it up!
feel better soon ok..?
ReplyDelete(lets do a triathlon???)
That does it! You must go to the corner until you are all better! :P
ReplyDeleteI know it sucks and I know you didn't want to hear a lot of the things you have heard. I am sorry that you're still battling getting it all figured out after it has been a year but am so proud of you for not giving up and not just ignoring the signs that your body is giving you! You will get there sweetie..and when you do...you will be so very happy to not feel weighed down and icky all the time! Hugssssssssssssssssssssss
Now see...to me this is wonderful news! Even if there are three things...all three things can be fixed...:))
ReplyDeletexoxoxoxo
6.5 is great Duckie! I know it's hard, but it's doable. Just hang in there. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteI go next week for bloodwork, won't have as good results as you, but I'm hoping at least that my A1C is down from 8.5.
Goodness gracious! Sounds like you need to get out and get some exercise, or get a treadmill or bike or something and park it in front of the TV.
ReplyDeleteGlad your doctor is working on things with you, and that she's hot too is a bonus.
I joined a gym this evening. I will go a few times a week. I don't have room in my lil apartment for exercise equipment...
ReplyDeleteAh, ok. I have been working out twice a week, just regular paced walking, and I'm finally starting to lose weight. It really does help to exercise.
ReplyDeleteYea for your good numbers. If you are on a sugar pill now, be sure to eat at regular intervals to prevent side effects. Thyroid isn't bad, it will boost your metabolism and help with the insulin resistance. Been on it for quite a while now, no side effects. The generic doesn't work for me, something to consider as you try to regulate yourself. Other meds in generic seem to be pretty good, just not the endocrine.
ReplyDeleteThe med I have for the thyroid is the non-generic Synthroid. The diabetes one is Janumet. Dual med of metformin and sumthin else. Seems robe working well.
ReplyDeleteThose have worked for me very well. The thyroid will take a while to get back up to normal, they like to run the numbers on the high end for diabetics to up the metabolism. The metformin part may give you some stomach issues if you take it on an empty stomach, major diarrhea. I know TMI. The Januvia part is really good with minimal side effects. I'm also on Synthroid, they may adjust you on that until they get the levels where they want them. Yea, those numbers are good. FYI your liver kicks out about 20 points of sugar in the mornings, so judge your results with that in mind. Glad it's working for you. Don't forget to eat, it will mess up your day.
ReplyDeleteIt all takes time to sort itself out with varying degrees of med juggling. My Mum is insulin dependant with Kidney failure (dialysis isnt far off), heart problems and osteo arthritis.. I know the medical merry go round only too well with multiple medical issues. Keep up the positive attitude! That's half the battle won then :)
ReplyDelete